Tuesday, November 10, 2009

No wonder it's all crabgrass

I've softened my position on the professional outfit that used to do our chemicals. After spending some quality time with Tukey's book, I realized there's more to weed problems than improper application of toxic waste.

I've been digging up the bigger clods of crab grass. I know they're annual and won't necessarily regrow next spring but I figure they're loaded with seeds and they look like hell – so why not get rid of them? What's interesting is that more times than not, when I sink the shovel in to loosen the crab grass, I hit something hard. Usually a rock, sometimes a big one.

Learn to read your weeds, Tukey says. The reason I have so much crab grass is that there's virtually no soil out there. It's all sand, gravel and miscellaneous other rubble the builder left behind. Even if the Dow Chemical Team was completely on the ball, I'd probably still have problems.

Look at what I dug up with a tuft of crab grass yesterday. A giant block of concrete. I swear, one of these times the hard thing my shovel hits is going to be a 1972 Dodge Dart, buried under the weeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment